<snip>
> You know, I was thinking about this...in all the elections
> I can recall, never has one of the long-shots, including
> *real* long shots like Dole and Mondale, not to mention
> Goldwater and McGovern, ever been referred to as
> "unelectable," even though, since all were running against
> popular incumbents, it would have been a far more applicable
> term than it is now.  Why only this time, did many of HIllary's
> supporters, as well as Hillary herself I believe, throw out this
> incredibly mean-spirited term at Obama?

Jeez, you really have to feel sorry for Sal.

Five minutes of Googling:

-----
She's tenacious, but the numbers just don't lie. Looks like we're
coming to the end of the line for Hillary. The question is, when will
she face the fact that she's...unelectable?

http://stevebrownetc.com/podcasts/comedy-bits-pieces/hillary-clinton-
unelectable/
http://tinyurl.com/3vgebp
-----
McCain 2008 = Dole 1996 = Mondale 1984: Unelectable

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/51807
-----
As Rick Perlstein argued in his recent book on Goldwater, "Before the
Storm," Goldwater the candidate may have been unelectable, but that
did not mean that Goldwater's views were unpopular.

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2004/04/05/040405crbo_books?
currentPage=2
http://tinyurl.com/6jdc8j
-----
The Democratic Party subsequently changed its procedures for
nominating presidential candidates in order to give about one-third
of the nominating (delegate) power to existing office-holders, in
order to make it more difficult for a populist but unelectable
candidate like McGovern to win the Democratic presidential nomination.

http://www.conservapedia.com/George_McGovern
-----
I don't know what McGovern says about Howard Dean, but again, Howard
Dean is unelectable for much same reason McGovern was.

http://snunes.blogspot.com/2003_10_01_archive.html
-----
Unelectable
Ron Paul beats Giuliani and McCain:
Final results of Thursday's Illinois straw poll:

1. Mitt Romney – 40.35%
2. Fred Thompson – 19.96%
3. Ron Paul – 18.87%
4. Rudy Giuliani – 11.61%
5. John McCain – 4.12%

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2007/08/unelectable.html
-----
The Unelectable Son

...But even with a spoiler on the left, and one given at least
limited legitimacy, the Bush campaign was in trouble. Even though
Gore seemed at times to be working on sabotaging his own campaign -
such as distancing himself from Clinton, who is, despite being
thoroughly corrupt, unquestionably the most popular politician in the
country - Bush remained seemingly unelectable.

http://www.konformist.com/2000/unelectable-son.htm
-----
While President Carter confronted Ted Kennedy at the White House, a
much more amiable encounter reunited the two most eminent figures in
the G.O.P. They had never been friends, and as recently as last
March, Gerald Ford had described Ronald Reagan as "unelectable."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,924192,00.html
-----
Unelectable Clinton

The argument seems to me to be over. On the simple basis of
electability, Obama is far ahead of Clinton in facing off against
either Giuliani or Huckabee...

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2007/12/unelectab
le-cli.html
http://tinyurl.com/64rygn
-----
[NBC's David Gregory] also quoted alleged conservative New York Times
columnist David Brooks, who sneered in print against Romney: "In
turning himself into an old-fashioned, orthodox Republican, he has
made himself unelectable in the fall."

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2008/01/03/nbcs-today-
giggles-obama-hounding-unelectable-mitt
http://tinyurl.com/5trhgf
-----
Con: Edwards is unelectable, and Democrats know it
By JOHN HOOD
Wednesday, Nov. 28,

RALEIGH, N.C. — EDITOR'S NOTE: The writer is addressing the
question, "Does John Edwards have a chance to win the Democratic
presidential nomination?"

http://gazettextra.com/news/2007/nov/28/con-edwards-unelectable-and-
democrats-know-it/
http://tinyurl.com/6flura
-----
...Seems to me that the ones who might be "unelectable" are McCain
and Romney, not Hillary Clinton.

http://www.raisingkaine.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=8116
-----
Rick Santorum: John McCain Is An Unelectable "Left-Wing" RINO

http://firedoglake.com/2008/01/10/rick-santorum-john-mccain-is-an-
unelectable-rino/
http://tinyurl.com/6ozhqz
-----
John McCain is unelectable. There. I've said it. It's the plain,
bitter truth, and no bones about it.

That's what we've all been thinking. Instead of pussyfooting around,
wondering whether McCain can "woo the right without compromising" or
if the GOP will "close ranks behind McCain," let's just say it and go
home. John McCain is NOT electable.

http://www.nolanchart.com/article2582.html
-----
Dennis Kucinich is unelectable, three weeks ago that was my opinion.
I agreed with his politics on every major issue, I found him to be
sincere and honest, someone who really stood up for what he believed
in. But, I was sucked in to the myth of unelectability.

http://wwjv4.com/democrats/the-myth-of-unelectability-128
-----

> Food for thought.

Indeed. Have some before you starve to death.