<snip>
Several of the prosecutors in the
> case, in the years since, have gone on the public
> record saying that *after* the deal was agreed to
> they were actively lobbying the judge to do just
> this.

I could be wrong, but I believe only one former
prosecutor has said he lobbied the judge.

At any rate, only one of them has played any kind
of major role in this regard. It was a former
prosecutor (who was not actually on the Polanski
case) who claimed in a pro-Polanski documentary
released last year that he had lobbied the judge.
This claim is what inspired Polanski to insist
that his lawyers file for a dismissal (which, in
turn, is most likely what drove the current
prosecutor to make a new effort to have Polanski
arrested).

Turns out the former prosecutor has just admitted
he lied in the documentary; he did not lobby the
judge after all, a big setback for Polanski.

(Hilariously, Barry posted a piece from HuffPo
describing the former prosecutor's admission, but
he misread it so badly he thought it was an admission
of misconduct in the case itself.)

Barry has claimed in another post, BTW, that the
judge in the case had admitted to committing
"misconduct" as well. That appears not to be true;
the judge acknowledged that *there was misconduct*,
but I can't find him quoted anywhere as saying it
was *his* misconduct (as opposed to that of the
legal teams).

<snip>
> What I can blame him for is the original act, and
> I do. But that doesn't excuse this travesty of
> justice. The few posts that have been made here
> about Americans and their tendency to take their
> "dark side" out on celebrities are all Right On.
> Americans just *can't wait* for someone they have
> placed on a pedestal to fall, so they can take
> their everpresent anger out on them. Polanski
> was just the "scapegoat du jour."

This is just silly. First of all, it's not just
Americans who think Polanski should be extradited;
a majority of the French do as well.

Second, celebrity crimes get lots of public
attention because *celebrities* get lots of
public attention. People become just as exercised
over the crimes of nonentities when some feature
of their cases makes the news. There's no indication
I'm aware of that people get angrier at celebrities
than at anybody else whose crimes come to their
attention.

Typically, what people *do* get very angry at is
when celebrities accused or convicted of a crime
appear to receive more lenient treatment than
nonentities, which is all too frequently the case.
This is a major factor in the Polanski controversy,
of course. Barry claims he got *less* lenient
treatment, but that doesn't justify his fleeing
the U.S. to avoid having to serve any jail time
beyond the 42 days he was imprisoned for
psychiatric evaluation.

That he's been swanning around the world free as
a bird, living the high life, for 30 years after
having raped a child doesn't sit well with people,
no matter what kinds of misbehavior occurred on
the prosecution side.

Most people don't want "revenge," they want to
see fairness. This case is so complicated and so
unsavory that it's hard to know exactly what would
constitute fairness to Polanski. That's why you see
the very wide range of opinions on the issue.

<snip>
> And, as reported by the AP,
> it seems they have blackmailed Switzerland to
> arrest Polanski and send him back to the US in
> exchange for "going light" on Swiss bank UBS,
> which they were investigating for hiding money
> to enable Americans to not pay taxes on it.

Actually, what it "seems" is that AP accidentally
released an internal memo in which its reporters
were *speculating* that Switzerland was trying to
curry favor with the U.S. in connection with the
UBS case. But there's no evidence for this, and the
Swiss Ministry of Justice has vehemently denied it.

> It's all politics, it's all *dirty* politics,
> and IMO it all reflects the true Protestant nature
> of the United States Of Hypocrisy. "The things
> these people did were bad, 'sins,' so we should
> torture them until they see God the way we do."

Once again Barry's sociopathy stands out.

> And the amazing thing to me is to see the fervor
> and the *perversion* with which many long-term
> TMers join in the blood frenzy and the desire for
> revenge. I'm sorry, but that's barely human, much
> less spiritual.

"Revenge" isn't the issue. Fairness and deterrence
are the issues.

<snip>
> They're not being "spiritual" or "moral" or caring
> about the "child."

That's right, it's not about "the child." It's
about *children in general* and doing whatever can
be done to protect them from sexual predators.

 They're in it for the revenge
> fantasies. They're GETTING OFF on fucking Roman
> Polanski in the ass, just as he did with the girl.

For Barry, being held accountable for the crime of
rape is the same as *being* raped.

Sociopathic. There's no other word for it.

> The difference is that he was stoned, and they're
> pretending to not only be better than he is, but
> "spiritual."

But for Sal and Alex, both former TMers, it's
absolutely OK to want Polanski to pay a penalty
for raping a child.

Nobody, of course, is suggesting that their stance
toward Polanski is "spiritual"--except Barry.

Nor is anyone suggesting that they're better than
anyone else--except Barry.

> The whole phenomenon makes me want to spit.

Too bad the wind's blowing toward you.