"Unless you don't realize the Atma, according to Vedanta, there will
not be any realization."

Radhakrishnan states:

Sha.mkara argues that it is impossible for us to know the self (Atman)
by means of thought, since thought itself is a part of the flux
belonging to the region of the non-self.

If we grasp it by inducing a sort of sleep on all our critical and
interpretive powers, then we do fail to have knowledge of the type we
desire. Yet we cannot think away the self, for there is no consciousness
or experience apart from it. Though it escapes our knowledge, it does
not entirely escapes us. It is the knowledge of the notion of self and
is known to exist on account of its immediate presentation. It cannot be
proved, since it is the basis of all proof and is established prior to
all proof. Logically it is a postulate. We have to take it for granted.

Indian Philosophy (Vol.II, pp.476-477) [my emphasis]

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, blusc0ut <no_reply@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj vajradhatu@ wrote:
> >

> > On Mar 5, 2011, at 5:11 AM, sparaig wrote:
> >

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>

> > > Nor does it need to.
> > >
> > > My transcending time is better than yours is not integral to
TM-theory in the first place.

> > Well it would mean some are reaching the "bottom" of the ocean (TC)
in the bubble diagram, and others are only 'blanking out' at one of the
subtle waves towards the bottom, in a laya (Non-TC).

> This is my opinion as well: Much of what is described in TM
transcending is only laya. Think of the sleeping elephants. They are
blockages you haven't dealt with. You are only partly awake. Some of
these blockages are the so-called knots associated with different
chakras, so called granthis.

> So actually only part of the system is 'awake', the other part sleeps.
The crucial difference is, that this partial transcending, mental laya,
is not the awakening of the Atma, the soul.

> Chakras, Soul, are not mentioned in the argumentation of Lawson and
Judy. If you mention them, they ignore it as if you have never said
anything. Ramana Maharshi says, that in awakening, there is a very fine
nadi between Sahasrara and heart, which gets activated, the socalled
atma-nadi. Shankara speaks of the same in his Brahma Sutra commentary.
As long as the Atma is not awakened, your transcendence will only be
laya. You could go on with laya forever, it doesn't lead to the Atma.
Unless you don't realize the Atma, according to Vedanta, there will not
be any realization.

> > If you think "that's OK" that seems like a pretty bad
rationalization to accept. It's effectively resigning yourself to a
limbo.