--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, maskedzebra
<no_reply@...> wrote:

> Imagine presenting this idea to the doctors at The
> Harvard Medical School—or to Socrates—or to Wittgenstein...

Here you go again RC - coercing those Western big guns into
your hockey team. (Why do you try to do that?).

Are we also permitted to try to imagine what, say,
Wittgenstein, would have made of this piece of dogma? (take
your pick of Wittgenstein 1.0 or 2.0):

"There is no safety in meeting one's Creator. How did I first
come to exist as the person that I am? In death we meet the
author of our life—not the author of our transcendental
consciousness; we meet the author of the person that we are"
RC, FFL 2011

Wittgenstein:
"Death is not an event in life: we do not live to experience
death. If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal
duration but timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those
who live in the present. Our life has no end in just the way
in which our visual field has no limits'' - Tractatus Logico-
Philosophicus

Socrates:
"For anything that men can tell, death may be the greatest
good that can happen to them but they fear it as if they knew
quite well that it was the greatest of evils".

What MMY had to say about death might be thought to fit quite
well with that. Viz."...by gaining familiarity with that level
of your being that is beyond corporeal, you may be able to
free yourself to some extent from this unnecessary fear". Not
unlike the way a modern-day allergy sufferer may be invited to
very gently, and in tiny, tiny steps, expose themselves to the
allergen that discomforts them. And just as in this case, it
is not the allergen 'per se' that is the health problem,
rather it's the panic in the immune system that creates the
damage, I find it not unreasonable, and not so obviously
unscientific as you assert, that our suffering in death might
be similarly alleviated. If, that is to say, we could avoid
the panic in our biology that is probably triggered when death
approaches.

Then again Socrates might have wished a plague on both your
houses (RC & MMY) for excessive 'knowing':

"And what is this but that shameful ignorance of thinking that
we know what we do not know?"