> > > Precisely my point. Sheesh you almost get the mpression
> > > these guys
> > > only have ever believed what they are told.
> >
> > Says Vaj, demonstrating without question that he never
> > got the knack of TM.
> >
> > Again: It has nothing to do with "what we were told."
> > That's Vaj's and Barry's standard copout.  It has to
> > do with personal experience.
>
> Or lack thereof.

Just for the purpose of intellectual argument (which
it seems is what you're looking for), let's examine
Vaj's statement above in the context of relative sets
of experience.

Vaj and I are talking about *contrasting* the effort-
lessness of techniques we have personally practiced
with the supposed effortlessness of TM. We have had
experience of *both* types of meditation. Based on
that *comparative* experience, both of us can comfort-
ably say that other techniques are really effortless,
whereas TM has a subtle degree of effort involved
with it. (A notion that Maharishi himself is on record
as agreeing with, a fact which both of you choose to
ignore.)

You and Judy have had experience with only *one* of
them. Based on that, you seem to be claiming that TM
*is* completely effortless. But neither of you has
ever experienced a style of meditation that is *really*
effortless, and that doesn't even involved thinking a
particular thought (the mantra) or "coming back to"
anything (again, the mantra).

And you're chiding US on our "lack of experience?"

I would suggest that Vaj is RIGHT ON with his sugges-
tion that your entire stance is based on wHAT YOU
WERE TOLD about TM's supposed effortlessness. You
were told, over and over and over and over, that it
is effortless, and now you can't even *conceive* of
it being any other way. You *interpret* your personal
experience as 'effortlessness,' because you were TOLD
that it was effortlessness. You have no experience of
what effortlessness might really BE in the world of
meditation.

But you're willing to claim that other people, who
HAVE experienced a style of meditation that really
IS effortless, are mistaken and that you are correct.

Doncha just love the humility that TM instills in
its adherents?  :-)