  From: TenHouseCats
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 2:09 PM
  Subject: Re: How do yall do it?

  the short answer?

  we do it because we can. we might not always THINK that we can, but clearly
the creative force of the universe, by whatever name you choose to call it,
believes that we can.

  these critters always manage to find us, no matter what we do. i have come to
believe that, in order to complete their journeys, they come to us because
there is something they need that only we can give them. and that there is
something that we need to learn that only they can teach us. it never gets
easier to deal with the difficulties of special-needs cats, but after the first
few times they appear in our lives, i think we start to realize that we ARE
supposed to be doing this work, and that it's not just some bad cosmic joke....

  everyone does what they can. some of us can work with the elderly, the sick
or dying; some can foster; some can give great amounts of time or money but are
unable to physically take in additional animals. there are so many ways to
help, and each path is valid...