At 04:00 PM 6/21/02 -0400, David H. Bailey wrote:
>I am not sure that giving creative minds a free ride

Most creative minds get a "free ride" if they work in industries where
research and development is paid for, don't they? More than a free ride --
one with benefits and facilities and recognition. It's amazing how much R&D
is supported by government money, through corporate arrangements and
universities.

But because artists tend to create their work whatever their personal
circumstances, the entertainment industries that fuel huge parts of the
economy get all that R&D entirely for free. People whine ever so
righteously when they're asked to pay for this R&D (as opposed to, say, the
latest study on cloning or traffic patterns or nutitional information or
high orbital mechanics).

Most folks probably wouldn't volunteer a penny for R&D in any field they
don't understand or don't believe has a direct relationship to their
existence ... but when R&D is funded in the arts, it somehow becomes an
affront to faith in free markets or some other convoluted nonsense that
devolves into our liberation from patronage, fear of governments, etc.

All R&D uses enormous capital for little obvious gain. It's only suspect
when it takes place in the arts.

Dennis