Stokes, Randy wrote:
>[snip]
>Or could it be that religion is a deeply personal matter that government
>simply has no right meddling with? Support the church of your choice, or
>none at all if you wish. Just don't take *my* money to support *your*
>beliefs.
>
>Why can't art be treated the same way?

Meddling vs. laissez faire. It is a false dichotomy. We have a mixed
economy and have had one for a very long time.

Randy, I'm always surprised when you write about no governmental
support of the arts when, I'm guessing, most of Coda's clientele
receives, or has received, benefits from the government in various
forms.

I'll use part of my own history as an example of what I mean:

I studied music at Indiana University, a land grant college--a major
historical governmental support system. Indiana, like any university,
also relies on donations which gives the donator certain tax
advantages. The buildings and programs at the university were funded
by a mix of private money and student's money, but mostly government
grants.

I earned some of my tuition through summer jobs and teaching
assistantships, but I also relied on government-sponsored student
loans and also bursaries and scholarships that had some state money
in them. My teachers and fellow students also needed similar support
in their time.

Today, when I get a commission to write a new piece (Finale content
here!) chances are that the commissioning orchestra or group has
received support through an arms-length, government-supported arts
council, or, from a private foundation, endowment, or donor that
enjoys government-regulated tax advantages.

You will be hard-pressed to find an industry or occupation that has
not had, or continue to have, subsidies, grants, tax benefits,
tariffs and duties, low interest loans, planned procurement, or other
forms of governmental assistance. (I'm also including religious
groups which get tax status, and sometimes matching governmental
funds for some of their programs: literacy, relief, development and
so on.)

The western economy is a mixed one. Debate what the right mixture
should be if you want, but lets not pretend that support of the arts
is an either/or proposition.

-Randolph Peters