I didn't write the original question but I was interested in seeing if what
you said would indeed work on a measure of existing 16th notes (turning them
into tuplets). I repeated your steps and for me it did not work the way you
said. After setting Caps Lock and doing Option-3, I hit the 3 key on the
first note and...nothing. If I held it down, still nothing. The frame
blipped each time but the cursor didn't advance and tuplets weren't created.
So... I dunno!

Richard