On Sunday, December 14, 2003, at 08:47 AM, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

With Panther I can now see that I actually get a lot more from OS X than I would ever have got from an updated OS 9.

That was always the goal of OS X. It was perhaps difficult to see how the merging of OS 9, NeXT, and Unix would coalesce in previous versions, but it's clearly visible in 10.3. It took some guts on Apple's part to pursue this vision.

I think the fairer assessment of MS vs Apple's backward compatibility handling will come about whenever MS can get the Longhorn edition out the door. Let's see how F2K2/F2K3 does on that system because it's supposed to be Gate's rip-off of MacOS X features.

Philip Aker http://www.aker.ca