On 14 Dec 2003, at 02:03 PM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

Darcy:

(Have you even tried Fin 3.2 in Panther's Classic?)

I haven't done *anything* in Panther Classic, because every time the OS wants to go there, I get alerts to the effect that various of my utilities need to be changed to some other version in order to work well in the Classic environment. I am puzzled by this, because I would have assumed that a brand-new OS would come complete w. all the relevant utilities in their latest versions.

It's not "utilities" that are being updated -- it is some of the *core OS 9 system files*, which have been tweaked for improved compatibility and performance under Panther's Classic environment.

More to the point, though: I want the OS9 side of my drive to remain absolutely unchanged, and it looks to me as if updating (in some cases ante-dating) these utilities will affect not only OSX Classic but the same utilities on the OS9 side, with effects I cannot predict and have no wish to experiment with.

In my experience the changes are entirely benign and do not affect regular OS 9 functionality at all. However, if you are worried, you can always install a second OS 9 folder (no need to repartition), and reserve that folder for Classic use exclusively. Your regular, booting OS 9 folder can then remain untouched.

Unless someone can reassure me otherwise, therefore, I have no intention of using Classic Mode ever, for anything, on this machine.

That's an extreme and unfounded position. Again, if you are at all worried that periodic updates to Classic will affect your booting OS 9 folder -- I have yet to hear of any problems caused by this, but if you want to be safe -- just install a second OS 9 System Folder and use that to boot Classic.

And as long as I'm at it, here's another problem: After installing Panther, System 9 started alerting me that my catalog file was busted. I "fixed" it with Disc Doctor (which found and corrected a number of things, but I'm still getting the busted-catalog alert), whereupon OSX started telling me that all sorts of critical system files had bad "cluster numbers" (whatever those may be) and should be reinstalled! Now what?

*Never* use Norton Disk Doctor (or any other OS 9 disk utility) on a volume with OS X system files on it!

What now? Boot from the Panther installation CD and run Disk Utility. Let it fix everything it wants to fix. If this won't solve the problem, you will probably need to reformat your drive and start fresh, but hopefully Norton didn't foul things up beyond the point of repair.

If Disk Utility fixes your problem, reboot into OS X and download Cocktail:

<http://www.macosxcocktail.com/>

Go to the "Pilot" pane, check all the boxes on the left, check the "Restart automatically" box, and let it do its thing.

You can also covert these Finale 3.2 files to Fin2003 (or, hopefully soon, Fin2004) files and deal with making the necessary changes. Sure, that can be a big job (although Finale's conversion of old files is awfully good these days), but if these files must remain editable, you're going to have to break down and do it *sometime.*

I am still updating my FinMac 2.6 files, which won't print under System 9. Finale's file-updating is indeed much better than formerly, but it is not so perfect that I can avoid having to re-proofread, in detail, each score as it is updated. For example, one of the composers I publish always repeats accidentals after a barline, even if there is a tie. When I update any of his 2.6 or 3.2 files to 2K2, all of the tied accidentals disappear, which means I must very carefully go through the score and restore them.

Tobias has an improved "Cautionary Accidentals TG" plugin that will do this automatically.

This is just one of the problems I have encountered. Looming in front of me is a 400-page ballet score still in 2.6, the updating of which will take me, I estimate, about a week that I can ill spare for the task, but which I will have to do the next time anybody orders a copy. The number of files I have in pre-2K2 versions I would estimate to be in the hundreds.

Why is it necessary to do this the next time somebody orders a copy? Are you still making changes? If these are done scores, I'm confused why you can't just make PDFs. Obviously it's good to have the Finale files on hand for second, third, etc, editions, but can't that wait? So far it doesn't look like Finale 2004+ is going to *lose* the ability to open older files.

I would also be curious to see what the oldest version of Finale is that will run in Classic. (Obviously without MIDI support.) I no longer have my floppies for Finale 3.0, 3.2, 3.5, or 3.7, and have no need to run those older versions, but if anyone has them kicking around (or still installed on their machine), I am curious whether they (or older versions) run.

[Obviously if they did not run in OS 9 they won't run in Classic -- did Finale 1.X or 2.X run in OS 9?]

- Darcy

-----

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn NY