On 15 Dec 2003, at 09:19 PM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

I do not have "a reasonably decent backup system." I've been backing up to CDs, wh. are immensely smaller than my boot drive. Even if I invested in an auxiliary drive just for backups, there's all those invisible system files that wouldn't copy over, and would make the copied System folder useless for restoration purposes.

Carbon Copy Cloner, Andrew:

<http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13260>

Get an external FireWire drive the same size as your HD and back up to that.

Although in this case, you don't *want* the invisible system files to copy over, since they are probably corrupted. DiskWarrior is good, and will probably save you time if you want to spend the $$$, but failing that, a full reinstall is not as painful as you might think. All you really need to do is back up your home folder (which should contain all of your preferences and documents), reinstall OS X and all your apps, then restore your home folder.

Not a walk in the park, sure, but not exactly major surgery either.

My main mistake here has been that I thought the two halves of a dual-boot disk were insulated from each other, so that activity on one side would not affect anything on the other. Silly ol' me.

That's only true if you partition your hard drive -- which you should maybe think about doing if you end up having to reformat your HD. That way, you can have completely separate and independent OS 9 and OS X partitions -- it's like having each OS on a different hard drive.

- Darcy

-----

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn NY