For disk and volume problems, there's a bunch of programs you can't depend on, and there is Disk Warrior. Disk Warrior will solve your disk problems or else tell you why it can't. (I've never seen it fail to fix these kinds of problems, and I've seen plenty of them.)

For Classic, I highly recommend making a copy of your OS9 boot folder and assigning it as your Classic folder. I also advise (in the Classic copy) removing any extensions or control panels except those that came with the OS. You can do this easily with the Extensions control panel by booting into OS9 on the Classic copy.

FWIW: I've never had any trouble from accepting those resource updates when Classic launches, but ymmv.

Andrew Stiller wrote:
Darcy:

(Have you even tried Fin 3.2 in Panther's Classic?)

I haven't done *anything* in Panther Classic, because every time the OS wants to go there, I get alerts to the effect that various of my utilities need to be changed to some other version in order to work well in the Classic environment. I am puzzled by this, because I would have assumed that a brand-new OS would come complete w. all the relevant utilities in their latest versions. More to the point, though: I want the OS9 side of my drive to remain absolutely unchanged, and it looks to me as if updating (in some cases ante-dating) these utilities will affect not only OSX Classic but the same utilities on the OS9 side, with effects I cannot predict and have no wish to experiment with.

Unless someone can reassure me otherwise, therefore, I have no intention of using Classic Mode ever, for anything, on this machine. This is a problem I was planning on asking the list about eventually, but there was no hurry until FinMac2K4 would arrive.

And as long as I'm at it, here's another problem: After installing Panther, System 9 started alerting me that my catalog file was busted. I "fixed" it with Disc Doctor (which found and corrected a number of things, but I'm still getting the busted-catalog alert), whereupon OSX started telling me that all sorts of critical system files had bad "cluster numbers" (whatever those may be) and should be reinstalled! Now what?

You can also covert these Finale 3.2 files to Fin2003 (or, hopefully soon, Fin2004) files and deal with making the necessary changes. Sure, that can be a big job (although Finale's conversion of old files is awfully good these days), but if these files must remain editable, you're going to have to break down and do it *sometime.*

I am still updating my FinMac 2.6 files, which won't print under System 9. Finale's file-updating is indeed much better than formerly, but it is not so perfect that I can avoid having to re-proofread, in detail, each score as it is updated. For example, one of the composers I publish always repeats accidentals after a barline, even if there is a tie. When I update any of his 2.6 or 3.2 files to 2K2, all of the tied accidentals disappear, which means I must very carefully go through the score and restore them. This is just one of the problems I have encountered. Looming in front of me is a 400-page ballet score still in 2.6, the updating of which will take me, I estimate, about a week that I can ill spare for the task, but which I will have to do the next time anybody orders a copy. The number of files I have in pre-2K2 versions I would estimate to be in the hundreds.

-- Robert Patterson

http://RobertGPatterson.com