On Sunday, December 14, 2003, at 11:03 AM, Andrew Stiller wrote:

After installing Panther, System 9 started alerting me that my catalog file was busted. I "fixed" it with Disc Doctor (which found and corrected a number of things, but I'm still getting the busted-catalog alert), whereupon OSX started telling me that all sorts of critical system files had bad "cluster numbers" (whatever those may be) and should be reinstalled! Now what?

Back up everything, and reformat your disk into two (or more) partitions. Reserve one for installing OS 9 and one for 10.3. With Panther, I've heard that the best install is an "Erase" install.

Philip Aker http://www.aker.ca