But Andrew brought up a remarkably similar issue several months ago and you proffered the same advice. Obviously he hasn't purchased DW and why should he? Seems to me that if one has a reasonably decent backup system, it's a useless expense because using Apple's Disk Utility does a good job at most repairs and provides complete facilities for re-formatting if it can't solve the problem. What's so weird about re-formatting anyway?

Philip Aker http://www.aker.ca

I didn't buy Disk Warrior at the time because I wasn't doing anything with OSX then. I'm hardly using it now, except to install Panther in anticipation of FinMac 2K4, and trying to upgrade all the (numerous!) relevant apps I have that are not OSX compatible.

I do not have "a reasonably decent backup system." I've been backing up to CDs, wh. are immensely smaller than my boot drive. Even if I invested in an auxiliary drive just for backups, there's all those invisible system files that wouldn't copy over, and would make the copied System folder useless for restoration purposes. To top it all off, I've managed to *lose* the original System 9 CDs that came with my computer!

So, yeah, I need Disk Warrior now, and I'm in the process of getting it.

My main mistake here has been that I thought the two halves of a dual-boot disk were insulated from each other, so that activity on one side would not affect anything on the other. Silly ol' me.

--
Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press

http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/