On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 07:28 AM, Robert Patterson wrote:

Darcy James Argue wrote:

What now? Boot from the Panther installation CD and run Disk Utility. Let it fix everything it wants to fix. If this won't solve the problem, you will probably need to reformat your drive and start fresh, but hopefully Norton didn't foul things up beyond the point of repair.

Aeeeiiii. No, no, no. Disk Warrior will almost certainly fix this problem. (It has always fixed similar problems for me every time I've encountered them, and it did so when no other utility, including Apple's, did any good.) No need for any reformatting. Disk Warrior runs in OSX and knows all about OSX volumes. (FWIW: on older macs unsupported by OSX, it runs in OS9.)

But Andrew brought up a remarkably similar issue several months ago and you proffered the same advice. Obviously he hasn't purchased DW and why should he? Seems to me that if one has a reasonably decent backup system, it's a useless expense because using Apple's Disk Utility does a good job at most repairs and provides complete facilities for re-formatting if it can't solve the problem. What's so weird about re-formatting anyway?

Philip Aker http://www.aker.ca