Personally, I thought the cello was much more difficult than the horn, when I was studying both. However, once you have mastered it it is much more predictable. The horn is not the most difficult, but it is perhaps the most unreliable. All brass players miss notes, but it tends to be more noticable on the horn because 1) the horn has so many more notes than the other brass and is often more exposed and 2) the horn is playing higher in the overtone series than most brass and so the notes are closer together and therefore easier to miss.

I think by "intonation" you mean missing notes. But normally "intonation" means playing in tune or out of tune. In this respect, the horn is no more difficult than any other. Indeed, I would argue that the woodwinds are the most difficult to play in tune.

Mr. Liudas Motekaitis wrote:
Please don't, especially horn players on this list, take this as an insult
in any way, but I have long wondered whether or not the french horn could be
considered the most difficult orchestral instrument to master. I often
notice that besides piccolo and clarinet in high registers it is almost a
rule that the ones to miss intonation are the horns. Even in the highest
calibre orchestras if somebody's going to be off, it is more than likely
going to be the horns.

Does it have to do with the

(1) large amount of metal (temperature difficult to keep constant)
(2) long length of the instrument (much and constant breath support
required)
(3) Difficulty in manufacturing one which would behave similarly in
different registers.
(4) Roundness of tone a dead giveaway of intonation (fewer overtones to hide
behind)?

Or other reasons?

Liudas

Robert Patterson