Tyler Turner wrote:

--- dhbailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrot
 From this we can conclude that frequency of
requests for a particular feature doesn't always mean diddly-squat in Finale's prioritizing which features get implemented or improved.

Just another bit of confidence slowly eroding away.

Calling unicode a "popular" feature request is sort of
a relative statement. Is it requested by people? Yes.
Is it requested as much as any of the major features
implemented in Finale over the past few years? Not by
a long shot.

Still, the most popular requests aren't always the
ones that get implemented. I doubt very much that
Linked Parts ranked as the number one request this
year, although I'm sure it was requested more after
Sibelius implemented it.

When the head tech-support person calls something a "very popular request" we can only assume that it is a "very popular request" and there seems to be nothing particularly relative about that. Unless they rank things by some sort of scale such as "Extremely Popular" "Very Popular" "Popular" "Not very popular" "Sporadic" "Extremely sporadic."

As to the linked score/parts, whether it was the number 1 request from users or not, the moment Sibelius' marketing department began touting it as a great feature of Sib4, I'm sure the Finale marketing department began clamoring for it, and it seems that if they request something, they get it.

So we only have to convince the Sibelius marketing department to make a bigger splash about how Sib4 supports unicode which is a terrific asset to those who work with vocal music, especially in languages other than English. That way the Finale marketing department will become more aware of it and they would request it so they could tout it in the publicity about Finale. THEN we'd get it.

I used to work for a boss in a situation similar to what appears to be the case at Finale -- if any employees suggested something that would improve things at the store, he would immediately tell them how stupid the idea was, not to waste their time on such silly ideas and get back to doing their regular jobs. Then about two or three weeks later, the boss would walk in and announce that he had had a terrific idea that we all had to stop what we were doing to implement it right then. You guessed it, it was the idea that he had denigrated an employee for a couple of weeks earlier. I learned how to bypass the public embarassment step and sort of sidle the suggestion into the conversation, not as my suggestion as a great way to improve things, just planting the seed. I got all the things I thought the store could benefit from without the public denigration.

Now, let me see, how can I contact the marketing department at Sibelius, to get things rolling . . . ;-)

--
David H. Bailey