Phil Daley / 08.3.26 / 7:46 AM wrote:
>Why?  Or should I say how?
>
>That comment makes absolutely no sense to me.

It does make sense to me as well as it did to Christopher.  I think the
key here is "style" as in "culture".

Christopher Smith / 08.3.26 / 7:38 AM wrote:
>(An interesting exception to the jazz swing convention: the tune All
>Blues, which for some odd reason is usually notated in 6/8 with swing
>16ths, rather than the more conventional 6/4 with swung 8ths (like
>two bars of jazz waltz). Nutty.)

Well, I must disagree on this, tho.  Unless the style is jazz waltz, you
don't swing 3/4 as 1, 2, 3.  You swing on the downbeat only.  I can't
stand when unknown drummer swing on 1, 2, 3 on my compositions because I
don't write jazz waltz.  In the same context, you want to swing in 2
beats on All Blues, so 6/8 is much more logical than 6/4 to me.  I hope
I am making a sense here.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>