David W. Fenton wrote:
On 27 Mar 2008 at 0:12, John Howell wrote:

At 5:18 PM -0500 3/26/08, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Cut time in 3? Is that the Zeffiro Torna meter?
Not in the Malipiero edition, if my memory is anywhere close to accurate. But 3/2 is fairly common in later Baroque music where it's an actual time signature and not a proportion.

I took the reference as referring to the 3/2 vs. 6/4 alternation.

I've never thought of 3/2 as cut time in 3, mostly because cut time in the period I'm dealing with usually means *4/2*. The relationships between their triple and quadruple meters were really not what we would expect.

On the other hand, to many people who come from the band or pop music world, "cut time" would refer to any music with the half-note as the unit of the beat since all the note values are "cut" in half.

I knew immediately what John meant when he said "cut time in 3" as would many of the musicians I work with.

--
David H. Bailey