At 12:20 AM -0400 3/25/08, David W. Fenton wrote:
On 23 Mar 2008 at 21:55, Owain Sutton wrote:

 (Why
 notate anything as 2/2, if it's likely to be heard as 2/4?)

This kind of comment makes me crazy.

You notate it as 2/2 because MUSICIANS PLAY IT DIFFERENTLY THAN THE
PLAY 2/4.

Certain styles of music make more sense in 2/2 than they would in 4/4
or 2/4.

I've got to back David up on this. In baroque chamber music we run into meters like 3/2 and 3/8 fairly often. My students deal pretty well with 3/8 (and even with inserted bars of 3/4 intended to make a hemiola VERY obvious, once we figured it out), but cut time in 3 throws many of them. Yeah, they're students and not professionals, and *I* don't have trouble with those meters, but they've been playing quarter note based music their entire musical lives.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music