On Jul 16, 2008, at 2:43 AM, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

Furthermore, I remember that we were at least half-officially told that Speedy entry will not be further developed in any future versions of Finale, as it had been decided to go Simple, and to convert people over to Simple. This was a complete mystery to me then, as Speedy has a lot of potential to be developed further, and I am sure there are at least as many power users using Speedy as there are using Simple. I have always asked for better control over Speedy keyboard commands (there are a lot of problems for users of foreign keyboards) and add the ability to enter at least articulations in Speedy. I, for one, have not found Simple to be better or faster, and believe me, I have tried, especially as I originally had the impression Simple would work better for Laptop entry without a MIDI keyboard. Well, for me it does not, and even though I have spent many hours trying to get used to it, it simply does not do it for me.

I really hope that eventually MM will realize what potential Speedy would have if it was improved to be the pro-tool for note entry.

I am another committed Speedy Entry user who has attempted using Simple Entry a few times and quickly abandoned it. Tom Johnson told me a couple of years ago that the long term plan was to make Simple have an option that would allow pitch first, then duration - the way Speedy works. My sense is that I could probably deal with it, if I could choose that option. I don't think the MM developers are so perverse that they'd eliminate Speedy altogether without making something else emulate its basic way of working. I have been stunned by Tom's speed with Simple Entry - notes, articulations and dynamics all at once at breakneck speed, but I have yet to get my brain around it.

Chuck

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836