Scott explains well how the new staff lists give us advantages, but not how a piece with many staff lists would create more work for a publisher. I cannot see why this should be so.

I am happy with the new behaviour for my own work, since I have always entered dynamics and the like as separate note-attached expressions. I have never needed more than 3 staff lists.

I am particularly happy to be able to add items with staff lists using metatools: this wasn't possible before.

Having said that for myself, I don't see why those of us who are used to working with many more staff lists should be penalised. And the staff lists are still all there in the document: you'll find them in the repeat tool, but you can no longer use them for expressions.

We are allowed to create as many expression categories as we like (as a test, I created more than 40). Most users probably won't create any more than the ones that are already there, but the possibility is there for anybody who might need it. Why not keep the same possibility for staff lists?

Michael