Tyler Turner wrote:

--- On Fri, 8/1/08, dhbailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I appreciate that link -- however I still see no reason
that a publisher has been crippled by the different numbers of staff lists submission may have.

Scott addressed this. In essence, having the more solid convention for when and
where staff lists are used makes it more likely that publishers will be able to
predict where staff lists are in place and makes it more likely they will be
able to apply global or individual changes that do what they want without
subtle gotchas.

Having 50 different expression categories for dynamics so that they could each
have a different staff list would slow those publishers down. Having any staff
list at all for dynamics would make them unpredictable when positioning or
deleting, and would thus also slow them down.

But why is this issue being raised now, when these same major publishers have been using Finale for many years? Why wasn't the staff-list limit lowered to 4 many years ago? That's the part that baffles me -- did these publishers simply wake up and say "Oh, my goodness, you know we've been crippled by all these staff lists for all these years and didn't even know it?"

And 50 different expression categories may slow the publishers down -- how about 75? Won't those do just what the former number of staff lists have done?

It just seems like an issue which has suddenly exploded with no prior warning so that anybody could do anything about it or rethink their workflow, knowing in advance that a limit was going to come.

Just another "we don't have to tell you what we're doing until we've done it and you just have to live with it" arrogance from another software company. How hard would it have been for MM to have indicated a year ago (or 2 or 10 or whenever the complaints about numerous staff lists started pouring in from publishers) that there would be a severe restriction on the number of staff lists, and actually tell us why (I still have seen no compelling reason why suddenly publishers are crippled by more than 4 staff lists, when they've lived with them for all these years) and when the limit would be imposed so that people could have been altering their workflow at their own pace, rather than being hit over the head with it when the annual "we need the money" upgrade was announced?

For people working independently, it's a non-issue because they can just keep using an earlier version, but for people who are forced onto Fin2009, it'll cripple the users instead of the publishers. Who benefits?

--
David H. Bailey