I agree wholehearted with Robert on this. A few years back, before linked parts, I did a HUGE opera for a client in Finale 2003. It was in 2 acts and the total measure count for both files was over 3000 measures. The score was laid out and printed, and all the parts were extracted and printed, and the opera went into rehearsals. Naturally there were cuts, additions, edits large and small, and it was a royal PITA to have to make edits to the score and each part, one by one. Re- extraction would have been impossible due to the changes coming in day after day, week after week. Would anyone want to relay out extracted parts 10-12 times or more?? Not me. So the linked part feature was a major reason I upgraded to 2007.

But, while the implementation is woefully buggy and kludgy, it's way better to make changes twice than anything more numerous. If MM EVER works out the failings (hmm…) we all might be able to keep things in only one file. But right now, even with 2009, it's still too maddening. Having two files is much more manageable.

My 2 cents, FWIW.

J D  Thomas
ThomaStudios