At 6:30 AM -0500 2/11/12, Raymond Horton wrote:
>Just imagine sitting in an orchestra, while it is being conducted.  What do
>you see on the page, what do you see in the stick?  Sure, Mozart put a big
>fermata over the voice part - and today's conductor can hold the stick
>while the singer takes time with those notes - easy.
>
>But if the conductor is conducting a player in several held notes while
>every one else has one fermata, then he.she has to stop and talk first, and
>there is still a potential for a mistake - not easy.

I have to agree, although this is NOT a really
big conducting problem.  With one hand held high
and still the other can dictate the note changes.
BUT the possibility of misunderstanding is still
there, even for a major orchestra and a highly
skilled conductor, and almost certainly for a
volunteer or amateur ensemble.  That's why I
agree with both David and Ray that all parts
should show the same rhythmic breakdown with
ties.  But composers hardly ever do that.

Fermatas in general are any conductor's bugaboo,
from first-semester conducting class on up the
ladder, and it does take skill and practice to
conduct them well and clearly.  The opening of
Beethoven's 5th is a notorious case, even though
everyone KNOWS what it's supposed to sound like,
and that's a case where a conductor can easily do
more harm than good by overconducting!

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"Machen Sie es, wie Sie wollen, machen Sie es nur schön."
(Do it as you like, just make it beautiful!)  --Johannes Brahms