On Sat Feb 11, at SaturdayFeb 11 8:03 AM, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> On Sat, February 11, 2012 7:55 am, Aaron Sherber wrote:
>> On 2/11/2012 6:30 AM, Raymond Horton wrote:
>>> But if the conductor is conducting a player in several held notes while
>>> every one else has one fermata, then he.she has to stop and talk first, and
>>> there is still a potential for a mistake - not easy.
>>
>> I would conduct the player gently with my left hand while the stick
>> remains stationary, dead center. In my experience, this sort of thing
>> does not cause confusion.
>
> Unfortunately, I just had this experience with my opera. I thought one fermata
> was just fine in the other parts because they would be watching the stick.
> Wrong. I learned that everybody wants the exactly the same thing, even
> breaking a whole rest into smaller values, each with fermatas. I don't know if
> this is a consequence of the greater specificity of contemporary music
> creating a new expectation, but the practice of giving fermatas only the the
> largest note value in a part doesn't work anymore.
>
> Dennis

I don't understand why a single moving part needs to be conducted so
specifically. Why doesn't the player just play it (obeying whatever
instructions are on it) while the conductor holds a fermata? Or, if there is
some sort of action to be matched, or the single part is a section of violins,
or the conductor (or composer) wants to be a control freak (and who among them
doesn't?) a single ordinary fermata on the other parts with a cue from the
moving instrument would give a lot of info. In the conductor-less chamber music
I write, cues are our conductor in those passages.

Christopher