This message is from: Krissie England <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi, my name is Krissie and I have been lurking for a few weeks now.  So, I
guess it is time to introduce myself!  My hubby and I have four horses at
home.  Josey, an appaloosa mare, was the horse I bought myself when I
graduated from college and, thus, is utterly spoiled.  Loki and Athena are our
percherons.  Loki made his debut at baby level eventing last month, which was
a blast.  Athena is currently recovering from a torn suspensory but is also a
really nice riding horse when sound.  And of course, the reason I am here, our
newest addition is a 13.2h Fjord gelding, Trygg.

Trygg's registered name is
Torbjorn's Trygg and he is a son of Anvil's Torbjorn.  I have heard that
Anvil's Torbjorn was a popular sire, but to be honest I don't know much about
Fjord bloodlines.  I am curious if any of you might have any opinions on his
breeding?  His full pedigree is on the Fjord website.  His breeder is listed
as Richard and Nancy Hotovy.  If anyone knows them, I would love to talk to
them about him.

Trygg is a bit of a tough cookie.  We didn't realize when we
bought him that he has been through 6 or 7 owners in his 11 years (found that
out when his papers got here in the mail).  He was supposed to be a nice quiet
guy that we could give our son pony rides on, as well as riding him myself.
Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to work with him enough and he is not as
quiet as we had hoped.  In fact, he is quite opinionated, lol.  I can ride
him, but he tossed my husband twice.  He is currently at the trainer's for 30
days of training and is coming along well, but still shows a bit of an
attitude at times.  He is extremely herdbound, which makes him unsafe for pony
rides because he is too distracted trying to get to his buddies.  However, he
is much better than when he started his training 3 weeks ago and I am even
considering doing some low low level eventing with him next year.  I think
he'll do much better with a job and it will give me
 something to work on with him.  Plus, I won't have to share Loki with my
hubby at events anymore...  My hope is that by sending him to the trainer for
a good foundation I'll be able to keep him going and maybe even give my son
some pony rides with him once he's more settled into being a working horse
again.

The good thing about Trygg is that, although he is a tough cookie when
it comes time to work, he is the sweetest thing when loose in the field.  He
is very friendly and people oriented.  When I go out in the field, he is the
first one to leave the hay or stop grazing and come over to visit with me.
He's also cute as a button.  So, I am really trying to give him the best
possible chance of working out because I don't want to be another in the
string of owners.  We are hoping to be his last home.  In fact, the training
is working so well I am really trying to figure out how to pay for another
month, because I think if we kept him there another month the difference would
be amazing.  And I have to admit, I've gotten pretty attached to him, "spunk"
and all.

So, that's us.  Sorry that got so long, I hope to get to "know" you
all better in the future.  And maybe one of you has a success story with a
tough Fjordy you could share to give me hope, LOL.  I truly think most of
Trygg's issues are due to being passed between owners and not having enough
consistency in his training, but some days I doubt myself...