This message is from: Krissie England <bluerunf...@yahoo.com>

Thank you!  Our percherons are what got us looking at Fjords too.  We have two
perchies and love them, so when it came time to look for something smaller we
were naturally drawn to the draftiness of the Fjords.

Sounds like Joe had a
similar beginning to Trygg.  I just looked at his papers and we are owner
number 7 for the poor guy.  Which is why I find it so hard to let him go, even
though I promised my hubby he was a good buy because we could "always sell him
if he didn't work out" given that Fjords are pretty pricey around here and we
got a really good deal (should have known then, LOL).  Of course, I think my
hubby knew that wouldn't happen, I've never once managed to let go of an
animal once it's part of the family.

<Unbelievably personable and  adorable
on the ground and when he agrees with the program>

That's the key right
there, when he agrees with the program.  That is Trygg to a tee.  He is sweet
as can be as long as you are not making him do something he would rather not
do.  In the field I can lead him with a piece of twine or by cupping my
hand under his chin.  But taking him out of the field away from his buddies,
he has actually tried to knock me over with his shoulder and run back to
them.  That was an argument I won by pulling him around and putting him to
work in a circle around me.  But he sure was P***ed.

I was worried about
sending him away for training for just the same reason you mentioned, that he
would think he'd been sold yet again.  Unfortunately, the trainer we used to
use that came to us had the nerve to move back to South Carolina!  We miss
him.  And I couldn't find anyone else I would trust that would come here.  My
vet recommended the trainer Trygg is with now and I think it was the best
thing for him.  When I dropped him off he did kinda pull back and look worried
at going into the barn and I told him right there that he was still our pony
and we weren't deserting him, but he had to go away to school for a while to
learn to earn his keep (school is how we explained the training to our son,
who is almost 5).  Got a funny look from the trainer, but Trygg seemed happier
and walked in with me.  I've also made sure to go see him as often as I can,
so he still sees us and knows we are still around.  I figure it's like having
him at a
 boarding barn, he's not at home with us but he still sees us and knows he's
our boy.

I've actually ridden him there twice now and the difference is
amazing.  He does still every once in a while try the biting at my toes thing
(though not seriously anymore, more like he is just checking to make sure he
still can't get away with it), but we've had no bucking since he started
there, knock on wood.  He is able to do walk/trot/canter without getting
worked up or trying to toss me, so I'm pretty happy with that for now.  He
never threw me at home, but he did toss my husband twice.  So my husband has
had a lesson on him at the trainer's now, too.  She said she thinks Trygg got
rid of him and not me because I am a stronger rider and Trygg is no dummy.  He
tried silliness with me and got in trouble, he tried the same silliness with
my husband and got away with it, so he took the opportunity and tossed him.
Which I think is a very true assessment unfortunately, he is more than smart
enough to figure out who he can take advantage of.
 Which makes him not a kid's pony :(  So I guess he's going to end up being my
second ride...  I feel bad for my son because he won't be able to ride "his"
pony for years, but at this point he should be okay to do a pony ride after
I've worked Trygg.  Not what we had hoped but better than we'd feared.  Trygg
has been at the trainer's for a month now on full training and done so well,
we really want to keep him there another month (with the weather I'm afraid
he'll lose everything he's gained if he comes home and I can't ride him during
the week).  So, since we can't afford full training for another month, we are
going to have them ride him twice a week while we come out and ride him
another two days each week.  Since I can ride there after dark, I can ride him
when I can't ride my own at home so I'm not giving up any riding time on my
main horse, Loki, which makes it easier.

Thank you so much for your reply, it
really gives me hope to hear from someone who has been through this and come
out the other side.  I hope we have as much success with Trygg as you have
with Joe, he sounds like quite a character.  Hopefully, I'll be boring the
list with my updates for a long time too :-)

Krissie