At 08:36 AM 10/18/2006, Tim Ellison wrote:
>The release of the new version shouldn't be the primary criteria for
>purchasing the IDE for version 1.x
>
>I believe, that there is not going to be point in the future (if ever)
>where PowerSDR 1.x will not be usable with the SDR-1000 hardware.  Flex
>has not announced an EOL (end of life) for PowerSDR 1.x.  If you want to
>make changes to that GA software version, you will need to invest in VS
>2003.NET.  So, you should base you buying decision on that premise.
>
>Also, you can get them fairly cost effectively from e-bay.

Before making a substantial investment of time and/or money, one
might want to inquire about the support for VS2003 as time goes
on.  You might wind up with a development environment that only works
on "old unpatched" versions of Windows.  Fine if that's an ok
environment for what you want to do, e.g. a dedicated standalone
"radio computer".

We have a lot of dedicated systems with Win95 and even older OSes
here at JPL because they were used to do some essential function 15
years ago, and because the spacecraft that was being developed at the
time is still working, we have to keep them going. Or, because they
control some one-of-a-kind hardware and it's cheaper to keep the old
computer running than redevelop for a new platform. It can be a bit
of a museum curation sort of task (for instance, we had to keep
resetting the date back to the 90s to avoid a Y2K leap year problem
on one HP/UX machine).

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075