Gerald,

An online forum called DBStalk and DirecTV have a program called "Cutting Edge"
that allows ordinary DirecTV customers to download Beta versions of software
for DirecTV
satellite receivers and DVRs. Most of these customers are far less technical
than hams but
yet this program is working well.  They have worked out a set of rules that
warn
users of the dangers and procedures required.  Releases are rated as to there
risk
which is often "very high risk".  Users are warned that they may loss all their
content
and  scheduling and this does happen.  Still users accept the risk and there is
very
little complaining.  Customers provide feedback through the forum and an updated
release is made almost every week.

The link below can provide more details but I copied the basic rules below if
the
link does not work for you (you may have to join DBStalk for the link to work):

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=159293

Thanks for creating a great product and its continued improvements.

73,
Mark
N6SF

Cutting Edge: Rules
________________________________

The
Cutting Edge program was founded by former DBSTalk moderator Earl
Bonovich in cooperation with DIRECTV. The Program is a way for you to
give valuable feedback to DIRECTV by downloading pre-release versions
of firmware to your DIRECTV receivers. A set of risks are outlined here
so that you can understand what it means to be a part of the Cutting
Edge program.

What you should not do
Do not contact DIRECTV
You agree that all support for this software will be through
DBSTalk.com. Contacting DIRECTV about your receivers while they are
running pre-release software is grounds for immediate removal from the
group.

Do not download just to get a new feature
Cutting edge versions are typically not "customer ready" which means
that there is an increased chance that a major bug may exist.

Do not download if you are unwilling to risk it all
If you are not willing to accept these risks, then do not download a cutting
edge version to your receiver.

Do not create polls right after a download
All polls created on the first day a cutting edge release is available
or on the two (2) days following the day a cutting edge release is
available will be deleted without discussion. The reason for this is to
give people a chance to see the changes in action before passing
judgment.

What you should do
Understand a cutting edge version may not be stable
This is the cutting edge. There is a chance that your receiver may stop
working. There is a chance that you may lose all of your programming.
Understand that there are no guarantees of anything.

Understand there is a chance of decreased performance
A cutting edge version often includes new pieces of code as
enhancements are added and bugs are fixed. As a result, there are times
when the performance will decrease.

Report issues at DBSTalk
You should report issues whenever appropriate, so as to improve the
software in future releases. All reports should be made @ DBSTalk.com
in the Cutting Edge forum. Do not contact DIRECTV or post issues in the
general forum area.

Inform all members of your household
Make sure folks who use this receiver understand that everything could
be lost. Downloading a cutting edge version could lead to
unsatisfactory results.

Understand that participation is voluntary
No one is forcing you to participate in the Cutting Edge program. If
you are dissatisfied with your receivers while running pre-release
software, you have one and only one recourse: revert to the national
release.

Have the right equipment
In order to participate in the Cutting Edge Program, you must have the
right receiver. This list includes an HR, H, D or R series receiver
from DIRECTV.
While the Cutting Edge Program is a cooperative effort,
DirecTV and DBSTalk are not affiliated. DBSTalk is ultimately not
responsible for any issues related to DIRECTV hardware, software and
programming.

These rules are subject to change at anytime without notice.