On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Brian Lloyd <brian-wb6...@lloyd.com> wrote:

I should have read the entire thread. Yes, most of the problems occur
when doing sample-rate conversion. VAC seems to be the worst with
PowerSDR being right behind. The sample-rate conversion used by fldigi
and dm780 seem to be pretty good. So:

1. start PowerSDR.

2. set VAC sample rate to 48,000 Hz.

3. enable VAC.

4. start fldigi or dm780.

This has worked just fine for me.

This approach means there will be two sample rate conversions: from
the internal sample rate of the radio (48kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz) to 48kHz
going to VAC, which takes place in PowerSDR, and then again in the
digital mode program.

My experiment where I changed the sample rate between PowerSDR and VAC
to match  the internal sample rate of the CODEC being used, i.e.
either 8kHz or 11.05 kHz, turned out to be substantially worse,
leading me to believe that the sample-rate conversion code being used
by PowerSDR is not as good as that in fldigi or dm780.

YMMV.

--
73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL