Roberto

> Sent: 04 November 2007 09:55
>
> Hi,
>  I've been modeling for fgfs a few objects around the world.
> I'm used to
> output everything as .AC files since it looks to me it's the
> most used
> format in FGFS but that has a few limitations that I'd like
> not having.
>
> The one I'm concerned now is the "crease angle" limitation.
> AC3D makes me set a crease angle for an entire object and
> does not let
> me choose to set different crease angles to each surface
> inside the same
> object. That's why I have to break the object in pieces when
> I want some
> of it's surfaces to have different crease angles than others.
> That's a
> pain :-( I don't know if that's a limitation of the .ac file
> format or
> of AC3D editor. I wonder if you can suggest me a way to avoid this
> limitation in AC3D.
>
> I also think I could switch to other 3d file formats, any
> suggestions?
> What 3d file formats does FGFS support other than .AC? I'd prefer
> working with plain ascii files if possible but I will consider other
> more obscure ones if they provide more flexibility and fewer
> limitations.

You are quite right AC3D has crease angle set on a per-object basis, and
AFAIK, there is no way round this. I have not found it a limitation - it is
a transition value between crease and smooth. Like you, if there isn't a
convenient value I break the object. There's no penalty for that - numbers
of objects and groups have no performance penalty.

Vivian