Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> Vivian Meazza wrote:
>
> > And I have yet to see any 3d clouds. Any clues on where I should be looking
> > (yes the box is checked :-))
>
> Something has changed in the environment manager which means that clouds
> generateion is now inconsistent. I'm still tracking it down, as my recent
> changes shouldn't have affected this.

Well, the cause was a bug in my code, but it didn't expose itself until we moved
to multiple cameras. The attached patch fixes the problem.

I've also put in a new heuristic to improve the frame-rate. Clouds that are
already sorted
are likely to still be sorted in subsequent frames. Therefore I've put in a
back-off
mechanism for the bubble-sort pass. This should mean that if you stay
completely
stationary, once the clouds become sorted they will eventually only perform a
bubble sort pass every 128 frames.

It would be good to get a feel for how bad performance is with 3D clouds. At
the moment
I don't have a handle on whether performance is almost good enough, or
completely
unacceptable. I'd appreciate it if people would post their observations,
providing
details of their machine spec, graphics options and the frame-rate with and
without 3D clouds - ideally with a description of the general load on the
machine.

Thanks,

-Stuart