How interesting, Glen!
I'm curious- how do you talk to your friends? Or your children, if you have
any? Or those you want to teach you something?

Yes, I do believe, and practice as best I can, opportunities for
non-intellectual posturing. I certainly claim the right to posture with
knowledge and intellect - but I know absolutely that is not the only philosophy
I practice. It is in fact not the best philosophical basis for a variety of
purposes.

>From my perspective, anything that is actually asking a question, and actually
>listening and considering the answer, and inquiring into it for new
>information, and then integrating new information to continue the dialogue, is
>not intellectual posturing.

Communication exists for many purposes. I believe that communication, of which
sharing ideas and information is one category, is not a hierarchical system but
a needs-based system. So by that definition, dialogue is always expressing
something about the speaker, and her/his intentions towards the listener. And
(in most cases other than for a didactic purpose) the purpose is the back and
forth of the dialogue. Then what that reciprocity brings to the participants.

If there is no particular forward motion brought about by the dialogue - in the
direction of the purpose for which the dialogue was established - than that is
posturing.

But there are a myriad of options for philosophical dialogue that do have
functional growth / expansion / increased knowledge.

I'm signing off for today, pleasure to bounce ideas back and forth as always.
Tory