What is Language?
What is Science?
What is Engineering?
What is Metaphysics?

It seems that Glen is confronting us to sort these out a bit more/differently than usual. I find your (Glen) presentation of these concepts idiosyncratic but generally to good effect. I almost always flinch and want to disagree at your first sentences, but by the end of the paragraph or post, I usually appreciate the point you are making or position you are taking. It almost always provides parallax and sometimes clarification.

*Language:*
I *think* you (Glen) made the point that what *most of us* call language would be the spoken/written tip of the proverbial iceberg, and that you would claim that language is much more than that. I think using the notion of "pointing at" only barely opens the can of language worms by essentially coining "nouns" or "subject" and/or "object" symbols.

While I think that your definition of language is probably a good motivation for the kernel or core of language or maybe only "proto" language. I don't know that the ability to name things sufficiently covers the span of language, but it is a "good start".

I defer to Bohm's Rheomode on what might perhaps be the next step in complexity, perhaps that of defining (only symmetric?) relations (predicates) between what we conventionally call Subject/Object. The non-dualists here (of which Rich is the only hard-core one I have seen self-identify, though I think Tory might accept that same term?) would probably want our elaboration of "language" to stop at that point... and not allow for the differentiation between subject and object... I'm unclear on whether dualism is a valuable tool or an illusion or if I'm thinking like Glen, maybe both?

/Sidenote.../

               It seems to me that classical procedural programmers
       would prefer the modern definition of "predicate" while the OO
       programmers would prefer the more classical (where the
       grammarial object is part of the predicate, but the OO Object is
       the grammarial subject)? Seems like Glen/Marcus and a few others
       might have an opinion/observation on this little sidenote...

*Science:*
I think you (again Glen) are saying that the core of science is the Scientific Method? I agree that without the act (including the will, the means and the ability?) to test hypotheses, I'm not sure what we would have... possibly magick or alchemy? Possibly less than that.

I also accept your contention that much of what we call Science is Metaphysics. I also share Glen's appreciation of metaphysics as a context-provider for science itself.

*Engineering*:
A great deal of the *rest* of what we call Science is instead Engineering. I'd contend that most of what passes for experimental science is *engineering* in the sense that it is about constructing and crafting various apparatti to establish a controlled context for testing an hypothesis. The generation of the hypothesis (aside from the intrinsic iterative nature of science) is outside of this engineering, as is the interpretation of the results.

/In summary/...
We discuss (here and many other places) the role of Science without distinction between what is Metaphysics, what is Mathematics, and what is and what is Engineering. For the most part that is not a problem, as we all share a common vernacular use of the term "Science" to roughly mean "all things which touch Science". Medicine (a great deal of Engineering/Technology and Social Practice) we tend to call Science. Anything involving technology we tend to refer to as Science. And anything requiring (or benefitting from?) Mathematics we tend to want to refer to as Science.

I think this is not that interesting of a question... in Nick's terms I think all that might be wanted here is some *local* (within this community?) convergence on the use of the terms: "Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Metaphysics". I think this has all been settled long ago and all we are asking for between each other is some "you know what I meant" class of understanding.

As for Language... I think *this* is a more interesting question of which the former question(s) are strongly influenced.

Just my $US.02 (e.g. adjust downward in other currencies)

- Steve