Russ Abbott wrote at 04/22/2013 10:21 AM:
> How would you say "E = MC^2" without language?

I don't think a scientist would say such a thing.  But I also don't
think "E = MC^2" is science.

Yes, I know.  After saying that, you will (again) think to yourself that
it's not worth talking to me. ;-)  But the point Nick raises remains.
Science is about peeking and poking the stuff around you, not idealizing
everything down into abstract math.  The math is a tool, but not the
objective.

So, a scientist would not say "E = MC^2".  A scientist would say
something like "If I manipulate machine X with buttons Y and Z, then A,
B, and C obtain."  What that experiment _means_, ideologically, is left
to the metaphysicians, some of which may trigger new behaviors in the
scientists.

So, your question boils down to "how would you teach a student to run a
particle accelerator without talking or writing anything down?"

--
=><= glen e. p. ropella
Swan diving off the tongues of crippled giants