On 03/04/2016 10:27 AM, Russ Abbott wrote:
I must have missed the message where you talked about the 3-tuple and don't
understand what you mean that a sign is one of 3 objects in a 3-tuple and
why it matters. Nick talked about a sign; I was distinguishing a sign from
its referent -- which you do too. I also said the reference is often a
mental construct. I'm not sure how your comment relates to that framework.

This is the 1st time I've mentioned the 3-tuple.  Sorry.  It was my guess at Nick's use
of the word "sign".

It relates to "mental constructs" at least because you have to place the "mental construct" in one
of the 3 types: referent, sign, interpreter.  I gave mathematical examples because you expressed confusion over what
Nick might have meant by "They are signs that stand in a rigorous, systematic, and extensively confirmed way for a
vast collection of mathematical relationships."  I presume you intend to put "mental constructs" in the
interpreter category, but maybe not.  They could be in any category.  For example, the mental construct I have of
cat-like can be a sign for a particular image of one of my cats (yes, I have more than one, unfortunately).  And the
interpreter is the mental construct(s) I use to organize the house (feeding times, expected behaviors, etc.) with
respect to those cats.

--
⇔ glen