I perhaps put us back in the pragmatist weeds by using the term "sign".  But
Glen is right, a sign IS a thrupple .. or whatever that lovely word is, and no
sign has been identified until all three elements have been specified.   To get
an intuitive idea of the idea of sign, one might take the example of a monkey
"predator call".  A predator call (the sign) is is a sign of the presence of a
predator (the referent) to from the point of view of (the interpretant)
another monkey.  But the concept of sign, in pragmatism, is much, much, much
broader.  (And more confusing ... to me.)  And Glen is correct also that all
three elements of a sign are themselves signs.  Thus every sign is embedded in
a web of signs.  The final crucial element in pragmatist philosophy (in case
you-re still with me) is that all experience is in signs.  So Pragmatism treats
us as living in a stream of experience, in which each experience leads to
expectatons of other experiences which may or may not be confirmed.  Through
confirmation and disconfirmation of these expectations we (i.e., all of us,
together)  erect structures of experience such as, you, me, object, reality,
true, false, etc, which are, themselves, experiences in good standing.  The
square root of two is one of those structures of experience, richly confirmed
in “our” experience.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University