David,
1. ( I ain't no expert, but in my experience with a 200GB Seagate drive that I installed in a Venus DS3 firewire case( several months ago ), which I don't believe has a fan, all is well so far. I felt very uncomfortable without a fan, but since it is only a "clone" backup I have tried it.

2. The firewire drive can be turned on while the CPU is running, which I do regularly, but to shut the firewire drive down, I do a shut down of the CPU and then turn off the FW drive. I believe that you can drag the FW icon to the trash while the CPU is running, as long it has no active files engaged, and then get a " do you want to do that" inquiry and say yes and then turn off the FW drive, but I haven't tried it for fear I would somehow screw up my backup system on the FW drive. It has seemed easier to just shut down the CPU, turn off the FW drive and then restart up the CPU.
Best wishes,
Don

It appears both G-list and Google G3-5 lists are currently functioning.