Hi Dark,,

Hmmm...Interesting ideas although I don't know about muffling the
millipedes when they are behind a mushroom. Only certain audio
libraries allow a developer to use a low pass filter to muffle sounds
which is a bit problematic for me. I've been working on an
experimental cross-platform engine that uses SDL for sound, input, and
networking and while it will get the job done it lacks some of the
more advanced features I'd get with DirectX. SDL Mixer, for exammple,
doesn't have all the DSP effects like low pass filters, echo, pitch
changes, etc which means if I want those effects I have to add those
effects directly to the wav file itself rather than apply them in real
time to the sound effect.

However, your suggestion of a targeting beep does work. If we had a
targeting beep it would beep when the millipede is visible, and not
beep if there was an obstruction in the way. I'd probably want to do
that anyway since while I can pan sounds with SDL Mixer its not as
precise as DirectSound's stereo panning. Meaning you'd probably want
some other indication that the millipede is lined up to make the shot.
No big deal, but a targeting beep kills two birds with the same stone
as they say. In short its a simple case of finding a way to make up
for what  the API lacks by doing the same thing a different way.

Cheers!