On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I took a quick look at some of these artifacts. I definitely see licenses
> missing from the LICENSE file. For example:
>
> paranamer-2.2.jar -- http://paranamer.codehaus.org/info/license.html

The link you reference puts this jar in the public domain and no
LICENSE update is required.

> sbt-launch.jar -- has 4 license files -- license, licenses/LICENSE_Scala,
> licenses/LICENSE_Apache, licenses/LICENSE_JLine (2 are missing from your
> LICENSE)
> hadoop -- has a unique license for the org.apache.hadoop.util.bloom.* classes.

Thanks for pointing these out. I'm certain that no project with lots
of dependencies updates its LICENSE every time it takes an update. One
gets around this by downloading dependencies rather than distributing
them?

> I don't know how many other problems there areā€¦ I'm sorry, but I don't have
> time to generate this information for you (nor should I need to). This is
> something the Kafka community needs to take on.

Thanks for what you've offered.

Many of the jars contain LICENSE files. Before spending hours crawling
through every dependency, can someone point to the documentation
requiring that the top-level LICENSE file contain the transitive
closure of all code redistributed through the artifact? -C