On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 10:55 AM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 December 2011 09:33, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 3:32 AM, Jakob Homan <jgho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>   You appear to have generated your list of jars from looking at
>>> kafka-0.7.0-incubating.tar.gz, the binary distribution that has been
>>> built as a customary courtesy as part of the release attempt.  This
>>> includes quite a few jars that are not included in the source tree
>>> since binary distributions do include transitive dependencies.  Are
>>> you saying that entries need to be included in NOTICE and LICENSE for
>>> jars/dlls that are included in binary releases?
>>
>> Yes, see http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#distribute-other-artifacts
>>
>> If properly tracking the licenses of all the dependencies included in
>> such a composite artifact is too much effort, you can always *not*
>> publish the artifact. Just leave it up to downstream users to compile
>> it and thus have them take over responsibility of properly managing
>> the licensing status in case they want to redistribute the resulting
>> artifacts.
>
> Or publish the binary versions of our source only, and leave it to
> users to download the dependencies.
>
> It's vitally important that the users are made aware of the licensing
> requirements for everything we publish.

+1

Tracking licensing for applications composed from hundreds of
components is non-trivial, and - without build support - is a *lot* of
work. This is just one key service provided by a healthy downstream
ecosystem. But unless consumers can download and get started, this
ecosystem may be slow to grow.

The approach - inspired by Lean and Continuous Delivery - we're trying
over the James and Whisker is to extend the release pipeline. Separate
concerns about the official release of source and components from
those about assembling an official application from those component an
the other dependencies required. Release first the source and
components, and then work on an application release from those
components.

Robert