On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:

> the voices here advocating squashing podlings that don't graduate in
> some fixed time interval

[citation needed]

As someone who has been vocal on the subject, I have been very careful
to NOT suggest automatic termination, but instead initiate efforts to
establish a plan that we can track for podlings against.

I will state that I was disappointed to see your list of (a) toss, (b)
keep indefinitely, or (c) graduate anyway.  None of these are
appropriate.

"Mankind's greatest achievements have come about by talking, and its
greatest failures by not talking." - Stephen Hawking

The right response to a lack of activity is to actually talk to the
podling.  The first step is to figure out what there is to talk about.
 Jukka's recent efforts in this area are spot on:
http://s.apache.org/C9k

In round numbers, 25% look like they are on there way to someplace or
have already gotten there.  25% are in need for a defibrillator.  And
50% need more investigation.

My recommendation: stop talking in abstractions.  Look at real
podlings, like Jukka did.  If you see a common pattern, that's fine
and make a recommendation based on that pattern.  Be prepared to cite
specific examples where those recommendations would be applied.

- Sam Ruby