On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Sam,
>>
>> Rather than argue about the existence and interpretation of messages
>> about squashing stale podlings, how about this adjustment to my
>> presentation:
>>
>> 1. OK, let's forget about dumping aged podlings
>
> We have quite a number of "aged podlings" with no activity and AWOL
> mentors.  I don't want to forget about that.  I continue to want to
> focus on that.  Not on tossing, or allowing to continue indefinitely,
> or graduating prematurely.  Instead I want to verify that the people
> who signed on as mentors, presumably in good faith at that time, are
> still on board.

Sam,

I started this separate thread because I view this situation as
distinctive from the problem you are referring to here. I take that
situation just as seriously as you do, I think. If you'd prefer that I
drop this (less urgent) problem until that one is under control. I'm
happy to do so.

>> 2. The third option I presented was 'graduate with an asterix'.
>> However, I didn't really intend to claim that no other possibilities
>> existed. Another possibility is 'remain under the supervision of the
>> incubator PMC but with more autonomy.' I could elaborate, but I'd
>> rather see if there is a remote consensus to go in any direction like
>> this.
>
> You want to see if people will agree to sign a blank check?  My
> suggestion is that you present a more concrete proposal than "more
> autonomy" if you want people to agree to it.

No, I'm not asking for a blank check. I'm asking you and the other
more experienced people if you think that the idea of treating
Isis-like podlings differently from other podlings by giving them more
autonomy and less oversight makes any sense to you. If you all say,
'no, we don't want to change anything,' I'll drop it. If you say 'hmm,
let's talk details,' then I'll attempt to flesh out details. However,
since your bottom line is 'make a more concrete proposal,' then I
will, but I will wait a bit to see if this thread attracts any other
thoughts about the overall concept first.