The proposed need to announce release votes on the IPMC list is how things were
when the incubator was created. The need for IPMC to control the process is
another case of the IPMC over-reaching itself and in so doing causing problems
by creating a bottleneck in the process.

It used to be that it was only required to *notify* the IPMC of a release vote
underway. Thereby giving interested IPMC members the opportunity to review
artifacts and processes during the normal release cycle. IPMC members were
expected to cast their votes on the PPMC list where such things belong.

I'm not sure where this idea that the vote actually occurs on the IPMC list
came from but it's flat wrong in my opinion (someone may dig through the
archives and find a good reason it was changed, but my feeling is that it
changed gradually through edits-on-edits-on-edits of the incubation policy).

The fact is that the PPMC (with IPMC representation from the mentors) should be
in charge of their releases, and pretty much everything else. The IPMC role is
one of teaching the PPMC how manage itself. Mentors should do this through
mentoring and the IPMC should ensure it is done through an appropriate level of
oversight (not an inappropriate amount of control).

Consider this... The board does not bring TLP release votes to board@, why on
earth must the IPMC do so?

I've half a mind to got back the wayback machine and pull the original
incubator polices and propose them as the "new" policies (yes, some changes
have been good, but it seems to me that many have not)

Ross