On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org> wrote:

> ​
> In fact, in my opinion it leads to the very unfortunate side effect of IPMC
> ​> ​
> feeling in need to justify why it exists by micromanaging podlings.
>
> I've been through incubation as a mentor on Phoenix, Nifi, and now getting
> up to speed on Trafodion, I have not seen micromanagement of podlings.
> Could you point out an example? Curious what you mean.

It is worth noting that none of the IPMC members micromanage on purpose, or
are even aware that their actions are being interpreted as acts of
micromanagement. From their perspective, it is their responsibility to
guide the podling, and that is what they are trying to do. It will unfair
to bring those out as examples of micromanagement.

That said, I have personally been in positions where I have seen IPMC
members ask - and even demand things at times - that I feel are
unreasonable requests for the podling. The reason I do not challenge those
is because I feel that their asks are rooted in good intentions, and that
the IPMC in its current form encourages such involvement and authority. At
the same time I also worry about the state of the podling and what this
does to their way of thinking about Apache and the Incubator.

Regards,
Arvind Prabhakar