> on 10/17/01 6:08 AM, "Paul Ilechko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Whatever Jon is or isn't is not my place to say, but I think I
> was pretty
> > clear that we are NOT looking to dump a project on Apache, that we ARE
> > continuing to work on ASPizer and support it, and have described the
> > commitment we expect to make.
>
> I question that commitment. No, I'm not going to just take your
> word for it.

That's fine, I have no problem responding to any reasonable questions.

> How can you commit to backing a project over the long term if your company
> can't get funding? When your company goes out of business, what interest
> will you have in developing this project over the long term?

We have a viable consulting company, and we make money. The product
development is something we have done when we see a need in the market, but
we have no reliance on income from it. We had hoped to sell ASPizer through
a partnership with a major software company, but that fell through. At this
point, we don't feel that we can afford to hire a software sales staff and
build a software company around it. As a result of this, we are interested
in building a market through open source. We can afford to maintain a
certain level of development on this product, and are willing to do so. I'm
not sure how you expect us to prove that, though.

> You need to realize that the 5 years that I have been around here, I have
> seen about 30-40 people just like you who come with some great
> project that
> they want to see survive beyond their company who want to give us
> the great
> pleasure of hosting for them so that they can maybe get some
> interest in it
> because no one was willing to buy it.
>
> We already have enough baggage around the Jakarta project. I think that
> adding any new projects is going to have to be carefully considered. The
> primary consideration is whether or not the project coming in has a
> developer and user community around it. The reason is because it will be
> these people who have to support the project long after the lead
> developers
> or the company that created it disappeared.
>
> The problem is that few people around here have been around for
> as long as I
> have so they have a very small understanding of the amount of crap that we
> have accumulated and gone through over the years. As a result, we have
> really closed our doors to new projects that have no community before they
> come here. Simply because we don't want to become a
> sourceforget.net (which
> is where I would have recommended you to go in the first place instead of
> pointing you at this list).

These points are well taken.

> How come you haven't put the source code out there under an OSS
> license yet
> so that we can look at it before we decide to begin to even consider it?

Sorry, but I'm pretty new to the whole open source approach. We can look
into other options and see what the best way to do this is. We're not
looking to dump something on anyone.

        Paul.