Davanum Srinivas wrote:
Rémy,

You will probably need to resend the CCLA...i can't find in the
regular location where ccla's are recorded.

- Can u please explain what you mean by "current attitude"?

It's already 'explained' in various mailing list archives, including this thread :-)

- Are u saying that Tomcat is *NOT* really "Apache Tomcat"?

I thought it's "Jakarta Tomcat" :-) I checked the web site - it says 'Apache Jakarta Tomcat' - but most of the docs and packages are jakarta-tomcat or just tomcat.

There are quite a few books, articles and many sites out there using either 'tomcat' or 'jakarta tomcat' - should we ask for a change as well, or is it only for jboss ?

- Are you saying that we need to formalize a mechanism to figure out
which company is a leading contributor to a certain project?

I would say each company and contributor is a 'leading contributor' :-),
but it is true that some companies contribute more - Jboss and Sun in particular for tomcat ( at some point it was Sun and IBM ), and I think they deserve credit for spending money on this.

Formally - each contributor has the same voting and veto rights in any project, and is free to 'lead' with his contributions.

How people outside apache see the fact that few individuals contribute more is a different story. It happens in all projects - even httpd - that at some point 3-4 people are extremely active and contribute more than the average. Is it fair to say they 'drive the project' or are making 'leading contributions' ? That's the reality - may not be politically correct in apache culture ( we all know board/pmc/philosophy/oversight/abstract community are the 'leading contributors' in any project, not individuals :-)

I've seen a lot of cases where people or companies have claimed a 'leading' role in various apache projects. This is the first time there is a rush to correct this. Is jboss a factor ?

Costin