David Leverton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Thu, 12
Jun 2008 22:58:26 +0100:

> On Thursday 12 June 2008 22:21:48 Wernfried Haas wrote:
>> Agreed, if this is the way PMS is done, we should either get rid of it
>> or do it differently.
>> The current status as presented here is inacceptable.
>
> Could someone please explain what's wrong with PMS, other than "needs
> moar XML" and "I hate the people doing it"?

Umm... pardon me for speaking my mind a bit here, and nothing personal,
particularly since I have the utmost respect for the talent and skills of
the people involved, but after seeing a pattern repeated over the last
couple days I've seen time and time before, it's getting tiresome enough
to write up!

In this instance, it's the "pulling teeth" to get info on a claimed known
bug from PMS folks on pkgcore, while at the same time, complaints about
the non-clarity of PMS is met with remarks (by the same group of people)
of (paraphrased) "filed a patch yet?"

The problem is that this hasn't been the only case.  There's a pattern.
It /frequently/ takes a day or two's worth of mails to get any decent
info out of this paludis/PMS lead, with him claiming it should be
obvious, but it's not, and while even the slightest criticism the other
way is met with filed a patch yet?

Eventually the dog and pony circus every time to drag out the needed
information gets old -- both for those forced to be the dog and ponies,
and for those reading it.

Ultimately, something's going to give.  Either information won't require
a dog and pony show to get so often from the current solution, or another
solution, perhaps inferior otherwise and certainly a duplication of
effort, will have to be found.

It's not just pkgcore either, it's two of the three current PMs having
problems, with the "One True Way" that everyone with any sense must
/surely/ see is superior (or so it seems the thought is) gets filed a bug
(or patch) yet if met with any criticism as well, from the same folks
that it's like pulling teeth from to get any info from them.  It has also
been a pattern in quite a number of previous multi-day multi-hundred-post
threads on various topics, involving the same people with the same
pattern, refusing to answer a simple request for info on the one hand,
while demanding bugs and/or patches when it's their turn.

What if the "filed a bug yet" attitude held on both sides, or even if one
side simply refused to play that begging dog or tricking pony the other
side expects them to be?  It simply cannot go on that way forever.
Something's going to give, now, or later, when there's ultimately no more
Gentoo to pull apart and therefore no more Gentoo PMs or PMS to continue
fighting over.